Tuesday, November 6, 2012

November 6th

Today was an important day in history with elections, Halo 4 was released, and I got to pick my vegetables for the first time. I picked peppers, cucumbers and beans. It was super exciting. I forgot to take a picture of them and when I got home I made a salad with my pepper and cucumbers:



I also weeded, fertilized everything in my garden, sprayed for pests and I had to remove my squash plant because it had a virus :(

When we were talking about organic food today in class I started to think about why anyone would want to buy organic food. I don't buy it because it is expensive. But even if it was the same price as locally grown food I still wouldn't buy it. There is something about fresh, local grown food that just tastes so much better. My dad has a farm and all of the vegetables I eat when I visit are from the garden. Nothing is better than homegrown and canned green beans. As for organic labels, I think that they are fine but people should be more informed about what the labels mean if they are spending so much money on organic food. I think sustainable agriculture means agriculture that is not only economically good but also environmentally friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment